Tuesday, February 25, 2014

NORWAY: Exclusive! Interview with Martine Marbel "I can't wait to perform 'Right Now' live"

Martine Marbel is one of the 15 Semi-Finalists for 'Melodi Grand Prix 2014' in Norway with her song called 'Right Now'. The winning act will be selected on 'Melodi Gran Prix 2014' in the National Final on March 15th. Martine will perform 'Right Now' in the second Semi-Final on March 8th with start no 2.

Listen to the song from Martine here:


We had the chance to talk to Martine about her participation in the Norvegian competition. Read our interview with her to find out what she had to say...


Hello Martine, first of all gratulations that you are one of the participants for the National Selection ‘Melodi Grand Prix’

How does it feel to be one of the Semi-Finalists with the song ‘Right Now’?
Martine: It feels great! I can’t wait to perform the song live, I’m really excited.

Who had the idea that you could take part in ‘Melodi Grand Prix 2014’?
Martine: Some of the people I’ve been working with for a while suggested it, and after thinking about it I thought it was a great idea as well.


Who decided ‘Right Now’ for ‘MGP 2014’?

Martine: We wrote ‘Right Now’ a few years ago, and it’s just been waiting for the right opportunity to come along. It was no question in my mind that this had to be the song for MGP.


Why it was chosen to sing in English and not in Norvegian language?
Martine: I’ve always written music in English, probably because my biggest influences have been doing their music in English. And I studied music in England, and that’s when I learnt a lot about songwriting, so it just feels like the right language to write in.

Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Right Now’?
Martine: Goran Obad and I wrote it together. We wanted to do something different from what we normally do, something that wasn’t so dark and melancholic. We played around with the beat and melody, and that’s how “Right Now” was created.



Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Martine: Music has always been my biggest interest, and when I was 18 I moved to England to study music. That was when I really started to take it seriously. After three years I moved back to Norway and since then I’ve been releasing some music and been trying to get my stuff out there.

What are you expecting in ‘Melodi Grand Prix’ on 8th of March, are you excited?
Martine: I’m very excited! I imagine it will feel great to be on stage and performing “Right Now”.

Are you a Eurovision fan?
Martine: Indeed. I’m a fan because it showcases a huge variety of music and artists, and it shows respect to songwriting as a craft.

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Norway participants?
Martine: I really like “You” from Robin Stjernberg, who was the Swedish act in 2013. I also think Lena’s “Sattelite” is a very cool song. From Norway, I think last years participant, Margaret Berger, had a great song with “Feed you my love”.



There are any artists with whom you would like to work?
Martine: If I could choose any artist, I would love to work with James Blake or Jai Paul.

Which kind of music do you hear in private?
Martine: Mostly rnb, hiphop and soul.

Can you tell us something about Martine in private?
Martine: I’m a night-person and get most things done after midnight.

What makes you happy?
Martine: Family, friends, music, writing and achievement.

What makes a day for you perfect?
Martine: If I can work with what I love and be with people I love – I’m happy.

What are your plans in music for 2014 beside ‘MGP’?
Martine: I’m writing songs and the plan is to release more music after MGP. Hopefully I’ll get to do quite a few concerts as well.

What was the most exciting moment in your life?
Martine: It’s impossible to choose just one! Releasing my first single and having it played on radio is quite far up there. But also getting to play one of my songs for Sir Paul McCartney in person. Or ask me again in March, and maybe I’ll say participating in MGP?

What are your wishes for the future?
Martine: I hope I’ll get to write and release more music, and continue to work with what I love doing.

Why should the audience from Norway vote for your song to represent Norway at Eurovision 2014?
Martine: I’m trying to keep it real and honest. We’ve written a song that we hope people can relate to and enjoy. I’ll do my best on stage, and hopefully the audience will like it and vote.

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans?
Martine: I hope you like my song “Right now”, and I’m really looking forward to perform it on stage!

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in ‘Melodi Grand Prix’ and maybe we see us in Copenhagen!

Find out more about Martine and follow her:


No comments:

Post a Comment