Tuesday, March 25, 2014

SWITZERLAND: Exclusive! Interview with Sebalter "My goal is to reach the final"

Sebalter (Picture by SRF/Merly Knörle)

Sebalter (born as Sebastiano Paù-Lessi in 1985) won the national final 'Die Entscheidungsshow' in Switzerland on 1st of February with his song 'Hunter Of Stars'. He will represent Switzerland this year in Copenhagen in the second Semi-Final on 8th of May with start number 12.

Watch the official video of 'Hunter Of Stars'



We had the chance to talk to Sebalter some weeks ago. Read our interview below to find out what he had to say...


Hello Sebalter, first of all congratulations for your victory in ‘ Die Entscheidungsshow’ on 1st of February in Kreuzlingen.

What does it mean for you representing your country on Eurovision 2014?

Sebalter: On one hand I feel positively overwhelmed and satisfied by a musical achievement I have been longing for long time. On the other hand there is a feeling of responsibility and serious commitment that is present: I am going to represent my country, and that is very important.

Who had the idea that you could represent Switzerland in Eurovision?
Sebalter: The idea took part on a trip in the USA last summer. This is when my song "Hunter Of Stars" took shape. Back in Switzerland, I recorded it, and in that very time subscriptions for the ESC were open. I felt ready and also felt that ESC could be a good place where to play my folk song. And, being fond of challenges, I decided to participate.

Sebalter
(Picture by SRF/Merly Knörle)
Your song is called ‘Hunter Of Stars’. Can you tell us something about the story behind the song?
Sebalter: It was written on my trip in the USA last summer. «Hunter of Stars» has basically a main key of interpretation: There is always a clash between confidence and non-confidence in myself when it comes to flirt and love.


What is the meaning of your artist name ‘Sebalter’?
Sebalter: Behind Sebalter is a story of a normal human being, with his dreams, hopes, disappointments and general resilience and enthusiasm towards life. Sebalter stands for "the alter ego of Sebastiano", so as to stress the gap between the daily life and the life on stage, on which a different part of me stands out, a part that struggles to come out during the daily life.

What are you expecting in Copenhagen?
Sebalter: I`m looking forward to this experience. My goal is to reach the final.

Are you a Eurovision fan? If yes, have you seen last years final show and what was your favorite?
Sebalter: My interest for ESC grew in the past years. So I also watched the last year’s final – my favorite was without doubt Emmelie de Forest`s song.

What is your all time favorite song from Eurovision?
Sebalter: My all-time favorite ESC song is «Fairytale» by Alexander Rybak.


Could you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Sebalter: I have been playing violin since age 6. I played classical music for many years, then I shifted to rock music (playing both electric bass and guitar) until I discovered the Irish folk music, which I fell in love with.

Can you tell us something about your person in private?
Sebalter: I live in the Italian part of Switzerland, where I work full-time as a lawyer. Music is my passion since I was a child. I started playing the violin by the age of 6. Moreover, I enjoy very much hiking and biking. And I travel as often as I can.

What is the difference between you in public and you in private?
Sebalter: In public I am a very extroverted and sociable person whereas in private I am more calm, quiet and reflexive. I need both sides.

Last years Eurovision winner Emmelie de Forest was on stage in Kreuzlingen as you won. How was it to meet her?
Sebalter: Fantastic! I am a big fan of her. I think she is a very spontaneous and expressive woman. In Kreuzlingen, after she had her rehearsal, I came in the arena with my violin and played her song in front of her… haha, she enjoyed that!

What are your plans in music for 2014 besides Eurovision?
Sebalter: I`m currently recording my first solo album, which I would like to issue in fall 2014. And I intend to perform as many concerts as I can.

Why should European people vote for you?
Sebalter: Because of my song “Hunter Of Stars”, and because of my aptitude as a singer songwriter and musician.

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans?
Sebalter: Thank you very much for your support! I`m happy to be part of the ESC in Copenhagen!

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in Copenhagen. See you there!

Sebalter (Picture by SRF/Merly Knörle)

Find out more about Sebalter and follow him:





No comments:

Post a Comment