Saturday, February 21, 2015

Latvia: Exclusive! Interview with MNTHA "You can't be happy if you are not yourself"


MNTHA is one of the participants for the national final of 'Supernova' in Latvia on 22nd of February 2015 with the song called 'Nefelibata'. 


We had the chance to meet MNTHA yesterday in Riga and talked about the 'Supernova' final tomorrow. Read our interview with her below to find out what she had to say...


Hello MNTHA, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the National Final of ‘Supernova 2015’ with your song ‘Nefelibata’. 

How would you describe your feelings two days before the Latvian final of ‘Supernova 2015’?
MNTHA: I’m really calm. I’m trying myself to calm down these days. Actually I don’t have the energy to have stress. I’m running from place to place.. So my feelings?! Well.. what happen – will happen :-)

Are you planning to make some changes to the previous shows? 
MNTHA: Well.. you will see on Sunday ;-)

Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Nefelibata’?
MNTHA: I was struggling with the title of the song. Basically the song is about a tough team and about how I see the world. 

Why it was chosen to sing ‘Nefelibata’ in English and not in Latvian language? 
MNTHA: I decided to sing the song in English. Well, I write a lot of poetry in English. Sometimes it feels like it’s easier to express my feelings in English, and sometimes it’s easier to express in Latvian words. It always depends. 

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
MNTHA: Oh I was very very young when I started to be interested in music. I started singing in choirs in the age of five. My parents sent me to the music school. Than I was eight years in a vocal class. Three years ago I had the feeling that I should start seriously to make music. Since my childhood I already compose music and write poetry. I improvised a lot. Just by a joke I started to produce something. I do everything by my own. I’m alone in my own creative music world :-) If I would do something with someone else, it would be different. It would be not exactly what I wanna do. I can ask someone for their opinion, but in the end I decide by myself. 

What do you think of the final line-up for ‘Supernova’ on Sunday? 
MNTHA: I think we all are very good contestants. I think we all could be very good for Eurovision to represent Latvia in Vienna. It’s a good mix of different artists and different kind of music styles. :-)

Do you think it’s for you an advantage that you were chosen to the final via public voting?
MNTHA: Oh this was a very big surprise for me, that the public sent me to the ‘Supernova’ final. Before the national selection no one knew me. It was totally underground and doing by myself. Well, maybe 15 people knew that I was doing something :-) …and now, whole Latvia knows that I am here as a musician, as an artist. That’s crazy :-) 

What is your first Eurovision memory?
MNTHA: I remember I was 2002 as Latvia have won the competition with the song ‘I Wanna’, performed by Marie N. I remember I was watching TV with my parents. I adored Marie N. Her performance had so many surprises, it was very special. 

Do you follow the Eurovision Song Contest since that time?
MNTHA: Well, I’m not really following the contest. I know some songs from Eurovision, but I’m not looking every year the show. Of course, now I’m into it, because I’m a part of the Latvian selection this year :-) I try to follow the things which are happening in Latvia and the other countries. 

What was the beginning of the idea to submit a song for the Latvian selection this year?
MNTHA: This year was a free year for me and I had many influences. I made a lot of contests, also panting and visual contests. Than I saw the concept for ‘Supernova’ and that artists can submit a song for it. I thought by myself “Why not?!” Than I tried it, but I didn’t had the expectation to be in the final. I wanted to try out and thought maybe to come to the second round. …and here I am, close to the ‘Supernova’ final :-) That’s very exciting :-)

If you are painting pictures, what inspires you?
MNTHA: Well.. for me it’s very important that there is music, radio or any noises. It all depends.. sometimes I’m listening rock music. Sometimes I listen classical music to get inspirations.  

What inspires you to make music?
MNTHA: I think there are too many things to count.. I can sitting in the bus, just listening to the talking people.. walking along the streets.. in the theatre or on concerts.. It could be also 4 am in the morning.. Than I stand up and write the text down :-)

Why should the audience of Latvia vote for your song to represent your country at Eurovision? 
MNTHA: I don’t know. I just want to be myself. I do everything I can. Let the people chose the best. I just wanna go with the flow.. I don’t want to say everyone “Vote for me..”. Because the people should chose for what they want to vote. I only asking them to do what they feel :-) 

What are your plans and wishes for the future? 
MNTHA:  Oh I have so many wishes :-) Well.. I would like to compose more songs and release maybe an EP. I want to write more songs for a complete album. Next year I would like to participate in different music festivals and I would like to learn producing more in a professional way. 

Do you have a message for the readers of ‘Join Us on Eurovision’? 
MNTHA: ..to be themselves, than everything will be good :-) You can’t be happy, if you are not yourself. 

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song on Sunday in the final of ‘Supernova 2015’ and maybe we see us in Vienna! 
MNTHA: Thank you so much! :-)

Find out more about MNTHA and follow her:


No comments:

Post a Comment