Sunday, February 8, 2015

Moldova: Exclusive! Interview Domenico Protino "I am extremely excited that I have been given this opportunity"


Domenico Protino is one of the participants for the first Semi-Final from 'O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015' in Moldova on 24th of February 2015 with the song called 'Let Me Fly'.


We had the chance to talk to Domenico Protino some days ago about his participation in the Moldovan competition. Read our interview with him to find out what hey had to say...


Hello Domenico, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the National Selection ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015’ on 24th of February 2015.  

How does it feel to be part of ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015’ with the song ‘Let Me Fly? 
Domenico: I am very excited and feel privileged to have been selected amongst the 24 semi finalists. I am looking forward to this new experience which will definitely enrich my musical career.

Who had the idea that you could participate with ‘Let Me Fly’? 
Domenico: I found out that Moldova this year was accepting also other countries entries and I thought that participating would have been a great idea since I had the perfect song. 
Who decided ‘Let Me Fly’ for ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015’?
Domenico: I decided together with the co-writer of the song Sandro Nardi who was extremely excited when I told him that there was this great opportunity. 
Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Let Me Fly’?
Domenico: I wrote “Let Me Fly” about a year ago and I finished it together with Sandro Nardi, taking some inspiration from the theme of Eurovision 2015, “Building Bridges”Let Me Fly is a pop song with rock and electronic colors. 

Why it was chosen to sing your song in English language?
Domenico: The inspiration came directly in English , not in Italian (my native language ) nor in Moldovan. Furthermore, English is the language spoken and understood nowadays by most people around the world, so it is an excellent vehicle, along with the music, to convey the message of union that I want to express to a wider audience.
Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career? 
Domenico: I started to sing and play guitar at an early age. I’ve also played with different local bands and at the same time I took every opportunity to take part in many national and international competitions, with my original songs. In 2007 I won a prestigious Italian Award called “Premio Lunezia” with the song “W La Vita” and in 2008 I won the International Song Festival of “Vina del mar” in Chile with the song “La Guerra dei trent’anni”

I released two albums in Italian language, one in 2008 (Domenico Protino) and the other at the end of 2013 (L’album Per Te). During the promotion of my first album, I had the honor to open up the concerts of a very famous and historic Italian band called “I Nomadi”.

What are you expecting in the Moldovan national selection ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015’, are you excited?
Domenico: I am extremely excited that I have been given this opportunity and I am looking forward to compete with such different and talented Artists.
Regardless of the final outcome of this Contest, I hope that the message of my song
Let Me Flyis understood: that, in itself, will be already a major victory.  I will use this as a chance also to learn more about Moldovan culture, history and language as well as opening myself to new artistic collaborations, as a composer and producer.

Are you a Eurovision fan? 
Domenico: The Eurovision Song Contest has always been one of the most popular competition in Italy after the “Sanremo Festival”, especially in the past, when music competitions were quite scarce.  Year by year I have become more and more found and curious about other Nations’ musical scenes and artists. How can you not be a fan of such a “Cult show” :-)

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite song in Moldovan ESC history?
Domenico: One of my favorite classic Eurovision songs is “Nel blu dipinto di Blu” better known as “Volare” from Italian singer Domenico Modugno.

 I love last year “Rise like a phoenix” from Austria, sang by Conchita Wurst, a winning song with a great message. One other favorite song of mine is “Tornero” from Mihai Traistariu, Romanian entry in the year 2006.
From Moldova history, I liked the performance of Pasha Parfeny in 2012 with the song “Lăutar”: such a good feeling, happy and cheerful song. 

What is your first Eurovision memory?
Domenico: Charlotte Nilsson singing “Take me to your heaven”.

Which kind of music do you hear in private?
Domenico: I listen to pop, rock, blues, world and dance music.

Can you tell us something about Domenico in private?
Domenico: Even in private , I'm always looking for inspiration and new ideas. I have a few friends that I trust. I believe in respect and good manners. I spend a lot of time alone to be able to work on my music but I love to be surrounded by people I care. I love to travel, discover new cultures and meet new people .

What makes you happy?
Domenico: Simplicity, the calm after the storm and the storm before the calm. I am happy when I’m able to love and transmit the best of myself. 

What makes a day for you perfect?
Domenico: A music jam with friends. A relaxed evening in front of the fireplace. Writing a new song as well as working hard without timetables.

What are your plans for 2015 beside ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015’?
Domenico: Releasing my English debut album and going back to Chile to perform again my songs.

What was the most excited moment in your life? 
Domenico: The embrace with my family on my return from Chile in 2008, after winning the Viña del Mar Festival.

What are your wishes for the future? 
Domenico: Staying happy, travelling while performing my music, enriching myself with new and different artistic collaborations … and many children.

Why should the audience from Moldova vote for your song to represent Moldova at Eurovision 2015? 
Domenico: I hope everyone will appreciate Let Me Fly as much as I do and can foresee my song as the possible Winner Anthem for Moldova in the Eurovision Song Festival 2015 in Vienna.

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans? 
Domenico: “ Love is the only weapon … are you ready to fight? “

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015’ and maybe we see us in Vienna!  


Find out more about Domenico Protino and follow him:



No comments:

Post a Comment