Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Slovenia: Exclusive! Interview with Anja Kotar "I think every single day brings new challenges and opportunities"


Anja Kotar is one of the contestants for the Slovenian national selection "EMA 2016" with her song "Too Cool". She will perform in national final of "EMA 2016" on 27th February 2016. The full song isn't available yet, but here you can listen to a fantastic cover she made of Adele's "Hello".

We talked to Anja Kotar some days ago about her participation in the Slovenian national selection "EMA 2016". Read our interview with her below to find out what she had to say...

(© Jani Ugrin, RTVSLO)
Hello Anja, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the Slovenian national selection "EMA 2016".  

How does it feel to be a part of the national selection with your song “Too Cool”?
Anja: Hi and thank you!:) It truly feels incredible - "EMA"is the most prestigious music festival in Slovenia and to be a part of it with such great musicians and artists is a true honor.

Who had the idea that you could participate in the Slovenian national selection and who decided to submit “Too Cool”?
Anja: Ever since I moved to study abroad at Berklee in the United States, I wanted to come back home and share my music. I saw the online applications go up and what better way to do that than EMA?:)

What is the message behind "Too Cool"?
Anja: I wrote “Too Cool” a few months back after being rejected at an audition. When I didn’t get a callback, one of my first associated thoughts was “I wear my tears like diamond earrings” (which ended up being the opening line of my new song). When we go after our goals and dreams we are sure to face obstacles. In those moments it is crucial we don't give up, but we hold our heads high, gain strength from rejection and say “You know what? I’m too cool for you”:)
Can you tell us something about the beginnings of your career? 
Anja: I'm originally from Slovenia, but I moved to San Jose, CA in 2012. Trained in classical piano and dance since age 5, I always knew my home was on stage. I performed as a soloist and with my piano trio (violin, cello, piano) as well as danced and won the World Show Dance Championship with my dance group in 2008. I acted in the most viewed Slovenian movie "Going Our Way" and its sequel and was featured on the Slovenian X-Factor.

What are you expecting in the national selection “EMA 2016”, are you excited?
Anja: Of course I’m excited! Every performance is an opportunity for me to learn, to grow, to share my music and get constructive feedback to constantly improve.

How are you preparing yourself for the show? 
Anja: I think as an artist you always have to be ready to perform. I always picture visuals when I’m writing a song so I knew from the very beginning what I wanted to do with the performance - now it’s only a matter of working out the details and rehearsing in the TV studio where EMA will take place.

You are an awarded piano player. Will there be a piano on stage for EMA? 
Anja: Not for this song. It’s a motivational jam and I wanted to capture that in the performance - something that’s a bit harder to translate to the audience when you're sitting behind a piano:) But if you wanna see me behind the piano - watch my cover version from Adele's "Skyfall"... ;-)

At the moment you are living in America. Can you tell us something about your experience? 
Anja: Upon moving to the US, I started writing my own music and became heavily involved with musical theatre and jazz at the VC Conservatory. I starred in many musical lead roles and received Outstanding Musicianship awards at numerous jazz festivals. I composed and directed my original short musical as well as vocal directed and directed spring musicals. I was awarded many times for my performances as a singer songwriter and musical theatre actress and have received the VC Conservatory Artist of the Year Award. My performances in the States include the California Theatre, San Jose Center for the Performing Arts, and the Neil Simon Theatre in NYC. 
Upon successfully completing my $20,000 Kickstarter campaign, I recorded my debut album at Universal Music Group in Los Angeles in June of 2015. I was also selected to attend and perform at the prestigious Broadway Artists Alliance Intensive and Industry Showcase in NYC.  
I am currently attending Berklee College of Music and am taking classical piano lessons from former Stanford University Professor, Dr. Nicholas Isaacs and voice lessons with former Princeton University Professor and recording artist, Ruth Gerson.

Are you a Eurovision fan? 
Anja: Definitely! It’s a part of the European culture and our family was no different:) Each year we would gather around the television and closely follow all the contestants, the performances, and have our favorites picked out hehe.

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Slovenian history?
Anja: I would say my all-time favorite would be Celine Dion’s “Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi”. Back then, there was a live orchestra that played along with the performers and Celine’s voice and ability to truly bring the words to life and into people’s hearts was unmatched. Slovenia had some really good entries, but one of my favorites remains Maja Keuc and “No One”.

What is your first Eurovision memory?
Anja: The first Eurovision I remember in full was the year Serbia won with “Molitva” - such a powerful message and well thought-out performance to support it!

What are your plans for 2016 besides the Slovenian national selection, are you working on an album?
Anja: It's gonna be a busy year! I have my NOMAD EP planned for release, lots of new music (and possibly new album) to record, play shows in Europe and US and many auditions. As I come from a tech family (my brother is currently in the process of launching a new social media app, TEMPO) I am also very focused on trying to find new ways to break in the music industry and disrupt and alter the current standards. You shouldn't miss to watch the video from "NOMAD" EP - the song is called "Tightrope" :)

What was the most exciting moment of your life? 
Anja: That’s impossible for me to say! I think every single day brings new challenges and opportunities. There’s beauty and value in each of them and it’s important to recognize that as I would not be who or where I am today without these.


If people outside Slovenia never heard of you before – what should they know about you?
Anja: I’m an 18-year old singer songwriter who wants to put a dent in the music industry:)

Why should the Slovenian audience vote for your song to represent Slovenia at Eurovision 2016? 
Anja: Too Cool is universal. It can be applied to people of all ages and backgrounds - the story and incentive behind each vote would be unique and that’s the beauty of it:)

Do you have a message for “Join Us on Eurovision” readers and your fans? 
Anja: Congrats to you for getting through all this hehe. Remember to not let life beat you down, but believe in yourself and your worth because you are TOO COOL;)
P.S. If you want to follow me through this crazy journey you can do so at the links below, peace! :-)
Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in the Slovenian national selection and maybe we see each other in Stockholm!

Support Anja Kotar and her music. Download her latest single "Let Them Eat Cake" on iTunes or listen to it on Spotify:


Find out more about Anja Kotar and follow her:





No comments:

Post a Comment